- Issue Time
If the bamboo steamer is used properly, it can make the food more flavorful. This article will specifically introduce the use methods and precautions of bamboo steamers.
Whether you’re steaming a big batch of dumplings or just some fresh vegetables to go with dinner, a bamboo steamer steamer is the tool for the job. By understanding the following steps and precautions, we can make full use of the bamboo steamer.
Steps for usage
(1) Use a pot or deep saucepan that the steamer will fit snugly on top of, it should rest securely (just) over the rim of the pot so that it won’t slip down inside. You can use a pot that’s larger or a wok and settle the steamer inside it (so it sits on the bottom), but you’ll need to use less water with this method to ensure the steamer bottom is above the water level.
(2) Fill the pot with water a few inches deep or about half an inch below the bottom of the bamboo steamer and bring to a boil.
(3) Arrange food items in each steamer then place them on top of the pot once the water is boiling. Cover with the lid and cook until the food is done (depending on size and thickness of foods, vegetables can take just a few minutes, fish fillets about 10 minutes and chicken pieces can take anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes or so).
(1) Before using for the first time, wash all pieces with hot soapy water, rinse well and then soak in hot water for 30 minutes. After soaking, steam all steamers and lid for about 30 minutes (while empty).
(2) Water should never be allowed to run dry, keep an eye on the water level and top up if needed.
(3) Arrange food items in a single layer with space around each so that steam is allowed to circulate throughout the space as well as rise up to the layer above (if cooking with stacked steamers).
(4) If cooking with more than one steamer at a time, place foods that take longer to cook in the first steamer at the bottom, items needing the least amount of cooking time are arranged in the top one.
(5) You can cook food directly on the bamboo slats at the bottom of each steamer, but liners are recommended when cooking foods that have a tendency to stick (such as dumplings). Using a liner makes the clean-up job a breeze, you can use: leaves from cabbage and lettuce, corn husks or squares of banana leaf and parchment paper. It’s also possible to cook directly on small plates that will fit inside the steamers.
(6) When using a liner, make sure you don’t seal off the bottom of the steamer and that there are uncovered spaces so the steam can fill the steamer and reach the food items.
(7) Once the food is fully cooked, turn off the heat and carefully remove it from the pot, lift the lid off away from you (being careful not to burn yourself from the rush of steam escaping) and transfer food to serving dishes.
(8) If using stackable steamers and each is filled with a meal or food items that take the same amount of time to cook, switch the steamers around halfway through so the total cooking time will be even for each.
(9) To enhance flavour, try adding garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and other fresh herbs to the water or spread them around the food items while cooking.
(10) Wash bamboo steamers in hot soapy water and rinse well. Allow to fully air dry before storing.
Usually, we should do a good job in the maintenance of bamboo steamers in order to greatly extend their service life. If you want to learn more about bamboo steamers and solutions after reading the above, you can contact BAMBOOMAKE for professional advice.
As an experienced bamboo tableware supplier, we are equipped with an extremely comprehensive management system and professional service team. We have carried out comprehensive quality control from product selection, manufacturing, and export. At the same time, we will also provide professional customized services according to the actual needs of customers. If you are interested in our bamboo steamer, please contact us immediately!